Contractors killed at Sudbury nickel mine.

Position::NEWS
 
FREE EXCERPT

Two contractors died in an underground collapse at First Nickel's Lockerby Mine, May 6.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

The two workers from Taurus Drilling Services--Marc Methe, 34, and Norm Bis-saillon, 49--were killed by a fall of material preceded by seismic activity.

The Ministry of Labour lifted their suspension of operations two days later in most areas underground except in the vicinity of where the accident occurred and where ministry inspectors were investigating.

Mine Mill Local 598 said it will participate in a joint investigation with First Nickel and the Ministry of Labour.

First Nickel recalled its workers on May 8.

In a news release, the company said before resuming operations, it was planning a safety reorientation "which will reconfirm the company's commitment to providing a safe working environment for employees and contractors."

The labour ministry ordered First Nickel to supply documents for training records, shift lineup, level plans, shift log books, seismicity records and a ground control inspection report.

Taurus Drilling had been working at the mine for several years.

"We are profoundly saddened by this tragic accident that resulted in the deaths of two men and we extend our deepest condolences to their families, friends and colleagues," said First Nickel president and CEO Thomas Boehlert in a prepared statement. "Safety is the top priority for the company, and we take it very seriously. We are committed to a full and thorough investigation."

In January, First Nickel reported it had reached its 2013 production targets at Lockerby and was predicting growth for 2014.

In 2013, the company achieved full production, shipping 242,000...

To continue reading

REQUEST YOUR FREE TRIAL