Having problems with another tenant?

Author:Feng, Judy

Is another tenant living in your building driving you crazy? Are they making excessive noise? Leaving garbage out in the hallway? Are they dumping dirty water or flicking cigarette butts onto your balcony? For many renters, living alongside people who they may or may not get along with is a fact of life. But that doesn't mean that you can do nothing and continue to wallow in misery. After all, tenants have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property--meaning that they have a right to not be disturbed while living in a rental property. Here are a couple of ways to deal with any problems that arise with another tenant.

If there is another tenant that you are not getting along with, one of the first things you should do is to try to work things out. You can talk to or write to the person and voice your concerns politely. It's not always the case that the person is aware of the impact of their actions on others.

The other person you should talk to is your landlord or property manager. One of the obligations that a landlord has under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) is to ensure that each tenant has peaceful enjoyment of the property. If the action of a tenant is depriving another tenant of their peaceful enjoyment, then it is up to the landlord to come up with a solution to the problem. To help your landlord or property manager come up with a solution, you can:

* talk to your landlord or property manager about the steps that they are taking to deal with the other tenant;

*make your complaint(s) to the landlord or property manager in writing; and

* if your landlord or property manager is attempting to deal with the problem, you can assist them by providing a written record of what has occurred with the other tenant.


To continue reading