The Fourth Session of the Sicty-Fourth General Assembly opened on November 12, 2013, with the Speech from the Throne delivered by Lieutenant Governor H. Frank Lewis. The Third Session of the Sixty-fourth General Assembly was prorogued on November 8, 2013.
Province House Renovations
Work is continuing on the much-needed repairs to the foundation, mortar, stone facing, windows and roof of Province House, the home of Prince Edward Island's Legislative Assembly and a national historic site. No significant restoration has been undertaken for the past several decades and weather-related stresses have taken their toll on the structure. The renovations are meant to get the building ready for 2014 celebrations, which will mark the sesquicentennial of the meetings of the Fathers of Confederation in Charlottetown.
The Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island recently received a donation of a framed Edward Scriven engraving of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (1834). The donation by the Tidridge family of Waterdown, Ontario, was made to honour well-known historian, Catherine Hennessey for her extraordinary efforts in preserving and interpreting Island history, heritage and built architecture. With Ms. Hennessey in attendance, Professor Thomas H. B. Symons presented the engraving on behalf of the Tidridge Family at a special ceremony on October 11, 2013. The work is of special significance to the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island as the legislature of St. John's Island voted to change the colony's name to Prince Edward Island on...