Peter Xavier, vice-president of Glencore's Sudbury Integrated Nickel Operations (Sudbury INO), has been elected the new chair of the Ontario Mining Association (OMA).
Xavier takes over from Duncan Middlemiss, who has chaired the group since 2017.
He has served as a member of the OMA board since 2016, and additionally serves on the boards of the Centre for Excellence in Mining Innovation (CEMI) and the Ultra Deep Mining Network (UDMN). He also sits on the board of governors at Laurentian University and was previously a board member of the Canadian Institute of Mining (CIM)--Sudbury Chapter.
Mike McCann, head of mining and milling of Vale Base Metals' North Atlantic Operations, will serve as vice-chair of the OMA.
OMA committee chairs include:
* Derek Budge, director of health, safety, environment at Redpath Mining Inc:
Mining Rules Committee and Employer co-chair of the Mining Legislative Review Committee;
* Mark Deans, sustainability co-ordinator at Newmont Goldcorp: Environment Committee;
* Donna Kirkpatrick, superintendent of claims at Vale: Workers' Compensation and Occupational Health Committee;
* Marc Lauzier, mine general manager at Porcupine Gold Mines (Newmont Goldcorp): Mine Managers' Committee;
* John Mullally, regional vice-president of sustainability and external relations for Newmont Goldcorp: Energy, Innovation & Clean Technology Committee;