Your Top 4 Questions About WCB Answered.

AuthorKrahn, Carolyn

Reading Time: 4 minutes

The Workers' Resource Centre provides practical tips for getting help with WCB claims, what to do if you disagree with a decision, and returns to work in Alberta.

The Workers' Resource Centre (WRC) is a FREE agency that assists Albertans with filing claims, complaints and certain appeals for:

* Employment Insurance (EI)

* Employment Standards

* Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)

* Workers' Compensation Board benefits (WCB)

* Canada Pension Plan disability benefits (CPP-D)

* Canada Labour Code

* Human rights (Alberta Human Rights Commission and Canadian Human Rights Commission)

Have questions? Need support? Contact our Intake Coordinator at 403-264-8100 or We offer in-person and virtual appointments.

One area we support workers in is applying for WCB benefits after being injured or becoming ill at work. Below are answers to the most common questions workers ask us about the WCB process.

Where can I find someone to represent me with my WCB case?

The WRC assists Alberta workers with work-related illnesses or injuries in filing initial WCB claims. We do not file WCB appeals. The reason for this is that there is an Appeals Commission that assists if you are not successful in your "request for review". The Appeals Commission and the WCB are separate organizations that are independent from each other:

* Appeals Commission staff are Government of Alberta employees. They are not WCB staff.

* The Commissioners at the Appeals Commission who hear appeals and make decisions are appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.

For this reason, the WRC does not want to duplicate existing services, so we focus on offering support in claims that do not have other avenues for assistance.

What can I do if I do not agree with WCB's decision on my claim?

Under the WCB legislation, a WCB case manager will review your claim. If they accept it, they will determine what types of supports you require.

Sometimes, an ill or injured worker may disagree with the WCB's ruling. If you disagree with the WCB's response, you have options:

* If you are unable to resolve your concerns with your adjudicator or case manager, you can request a formal review of the decision within one year of the decision date. After you submit the request, a supervisor will work with you towards a possible resolution.

* You can complete the request for review form online or request a paper version by calling the WCB contact centre.


To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT