YOUTH & THE LAW | Hit the Gas!

AuthorSteingard, Jessica

September 1, 2020By Jessica Steingard

You passed the test. You practiced driving in your parents' car. You were set to take the road test to get your license. And then COVID-19 hit. And your road test was cancelled.

The good news: As of June 30th, you can now book a road test in Alberta! The bad news: Road tests are booking four to eight weeks in advance right now because of the backlog. To prevent further delay, are you ready?

Learner's Licence (Class 7 License)

In Alberta, you must be at least 14 years old to get a Learner's License or Class 7 License. The Tests:

You must take a driver's knowledge test and a vision test. You can take the tests at most registry offices in Alberta. Call ahead to see if there are extra rules you should know due to COVID. Your parent or guardian must go with you and consent to you writing the test, if you are under 18.

The test is 30 multiple-choice questions and you must get at least 25 correct to pass. If you fail, you can go back the next day to try again. There are no limits to how many times you can take the test but you can only try once per day. To help you study up, study guides and practice tests are available online.

The test is available (writing only) in 25 languages. For $30, you can use an audio-assistant device that reads the questions and answers to you. The device only speaks English. In some circumstances, you can request a translator. See the Government of Alberta's website for instructions on requesting a translator.

The test costs $17. Once you have passed the test and the registry agent validates the test permit, it is valid for one year from the date of the test. This means you must apply for your Class 7 License within this time. If you wait longer than one year, you will have to rewrite the test. You must pay a fee to get your license. A new license costs $93* and is valid for five years. You can choose to get a license for fewer years for a lower cost.

You will also need to take identification with you to prove who you are, where you live and you are allowed to be in Canada. Identification includes an ID card, valid passport, permanent resident card, driver's license issued by any official government or nexus card. See the Government of Alberta website for ID requirements.

You do not have to take a road test to get your Learner's License. But you will need to practice up with a licensed driver before you can get your next class of license.

The Rules:

* You can drive a moped by...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT